Before You Move : Your Countdown to Moving
The definitive moving home checklist
4-2 weeks before moving day
- Start packing.
- Arrange for us to offer you a free no obligation quotation.
- Arrange any parking restrictions at either address.
- Have your car(s) serviced, particularly if you are moving long distance.
- Arrange for someone to look after children and pets.
- Draw up a plan of where you want furniture to go in the new house.
- Arrange for any tradesmen i.e. locksmiths, cleaners.
1 week to go
- Confirm arrival time with your removal company.
- Cancel any amenities i.e. milk, papers, borrowed books from libraries.
- Change your address details and redirect mail.
3 days to go
- Do last minute laundry.
- Any spare keys should be clearly labeled and left where they will be seen on moving day.
- Make up a box of refreshments and essential items for your first few days.
2 days to go
- Defrost and dry out your fridge / freezer.
- Throw out items in the kitchen that are out of date.
- Pack valuables and documents and put them in a safe place.
1 day to go
- Aim to finish the packing today.
- Charge your mobile phone, as you will need it tomorrow.
- Make a list of contact details i.e. Solicitors, Estate Agent, Mortgage Broker.
- Walk round with your removal team so that you can discuss what is staying and what is not.
- Check your house thoroughly before you leave.
- Lock all windows and doors.
At your new house
- Make sure all services – electric, water and gas – are working.
- Put the kettle on for your removal team when they arrive. Moving is thirsty business!
- Don’t try and unpack everything in one day.
- Order in a takeaway, enjoy a glass of champagne and relax.